{}

Jacks Corner

a Chance for a few old Salts to Cackle

It is currently 22 Sep 2018 03:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014 22:14 

F/CPO F/CPO

A headline in the paper caught my attention saying "Why not force every pirate to walk the plank"
Do you recall when it was almost impossible for a freighter to steam past Somalia without being
attacked, boarded, captured and held to ransom.
Well the merchant marine community quietly decided it had had enough. So without fuss or media they began to hire marksmen with high powered heavy duty rifles for the stretch from Djibouti
to Mombasa. The pirates aluminium skiffs are no match for the high powered rifles, and who wants to
sink 300 miles off shore.
:(

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Pirates
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014 11:28 

Commodore Commodore

they are called "Sea Riders" and normally travel in teams of about four, pay is reasonable and of course little happens as the pirates know on which ships the armed "Sea Riders" are. Lot of Brits, Germans, even Filipinos and the latest bunch are Indians (India not American), that'll bring the wages down dramatically. But hiring marksmen to hit the skiffs is a new one, I'll check it out. . . . . . . and get back if I hear anything.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014 20:37 

Lt Lt

i was once a marksman, and before you say anything i have it down on my papers..

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014 15:58 

Commodore Commodore

had "marks" on yer blue suit, yer working dress (8's as they was then, 4's now apparently), down yer white front, mostly from sloppy eating after finishing yer tot! The Other Marksman meant that you got yer clothes from Marks and Spencers :!: :!: :!: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014 20:22 

Lt Lt

jealousy springs to mind , i would have been great at the alamo , micky crocket, sounds good does that..

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014 17:19 

Commodore Commodore

you wouldn't have liked it - the Texans lost in the end! Noe my lot, Senor Miguel would have had life a lot easier, OK we'd have lost a few but ultimately we would have won that one Juan! Then as an old war hero I'd have got a quick draft to reserve ships Acapulco and spent the rest of the war in comfort on the beach! Lifes a beech but somebody has to do it!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014 18:26 

Lt Lt

and when he drew that line i would have crossed it,, HE WHO RUNS AWAY LIVES TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY..

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014 18:39 

PO PO

Harry H wrote:
A headline in the paper caught my attention saying "Why not force every pirate to walk the plank"
Do you recall when it was almost impossible for a freighter to steam past Somalia without being
attacked, boarded, captured and held to ransom.
Well the merchant marine community quietly decided it had had enough. So without fuss or media they began to hire marksmen with high powered heavy duty rifles for the stretch from Djibouti
to Mombasa. The pirates aluminium skiffs are no match for the high powered rifles, and who wants to
sink 300 miles off shore.
:(

I could think ofbetter things to do with my time!!!!!!!!!!!?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014 00:09 

F/CPO F/CPO

Its got to be a lot better than waiting for a pussers war canoe to turn up.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014 14:29 

Commodore Commodore

but for one small problem - I checked on it and from one of the frontline "troops" I got that well known comment of Micks "it's Boll***s" for a start to do that the merchant ships would be taking the war to the enemy, it would no longer be "self defence" but an attack on foreign shipping, especially if the ship deviated course to hit the skiff! And ye know that if you sank one they would all cry "Bad Boy!" "YOU attacked us and we are only innocent Fishermen trying to earn a living" when your "Pussers Warcanoe" finally arrived they would have no choice but to arrest the so called Merchantman!